Wednesday, November 14, 2007

First Week


I’ve been a Mom for one week now. One week and 10 hours, to be exact.

I never expected newborns to really do much, and truthfully, they don’t. Victoria basically sleeps most of the day, until her hunger gets so severe it overwhelms her and catapults her from a state of deep sleep to a state of agony – wails, and tears until she tastes the milk. She blissfully eats, burps, poops, gets her diaper changed and starts all over again. That’s her day in a nutshell.

But, I’ve had some great moments of discovery already.

- She seems to recognize my singing!! My first evening with her, after everyone left, I sat in the bed with my baby and talked to her. As soon as I started singing, her eyes opened up and looked at me. Every time I sang to her that night, her eyes opened. How amazing!! That brought tears to my eyes… my little girl seems to recognize my voice, my singing and the songs I love.

-I still love staring at her sweet face. I stare at her for very long periods of time. She pulls the most wonderful little faces while she sleeps. I think it’s an insight into what her expressions will be like once she starts using them. I think she’ll have a killer smile, be able to raise one eyebrow and be able to do an Elvis-like lip snarl.

- Mark is great with her! He’s wonderful with jumping in to help feed, change and comfort her. I love watching him with her – especially when he makes up words to songs since he doesn’t know the real words.

- I love how smitten the grandparents are with her. They just coo, cuddle, stare and marvel at her as much as I do. Plus, I love watching my folks as grandparents – it’s a new role and it’s a pleasure to sit back and watch.

- I’m amazed how quickly time goes. Just when I think we’re going to be ready to actually do something on time, I look at the clock and am just stunned at how much time such a little person can take. At least Mark can’t blame ALL of our lateness on me!

- After I feed Victoria, she purses her little lips together in the most beautiful little pucker. She already seems totally proper, dignified… it’s such a distinguished little pucker. As if to say, “Mom, will you please wipe my mouth?... I’d hate to be seen like this.” I watch for it every time I feed her.

- When newborns rest, they seem to practice their facial expressions, flexing their muscles. Sunday night while visiting the fam, my Mom and I were staring at her. Suddenly her face just lit up in the most beautiful, wonderfully, big smile. Her whole face was alive with the biggest, gummy, happy grin I’ve ever seen. It was beautiful and again, brought tears to my eyes. I know she doesn’t know that she’s smiling yet, but if that’s any indication – are we in for a treat!!

- Last night she did a really strong grip for the first time. My Father-in-law was holding her and she reached out and cupped her little hand around his thumb – like his thumb was a stick-shift. She gripped it like that for quite a while and of course, we were all abuzz with her progress!

- I think she has my eyebrows. Can’t tell for sure, but they seem to be the same shape. Weird, huh?... fun too!

What a busy week, 10+ hours we’ve had!

1 comment:

Kira said...

Congrats Erica! SHe is really beautiful (most new borns you need to default to the "precious spirit" thing). You will love being a Mom. I remember with Keaton the late thing. Here I was making plans to go grocery shopping etc. and I was proud when I had everything ready to go after MANY delays only to see it was noon and about time to feed again! What I wouldn't give to go back though! You will love it. Well she's a doll (I was comisioned by Grandma Hansen to make sure that was said :). Give her a kiss from us!
-Kira