Saturday, October 27, 2007

Legally Blonde

Hey Showtune fans!

My Saturday nights just aren't the same anymore. But, I do still have the big urge to share some Showtune related tidbits with those of you who are checking in (by the way, thanks for stopping by).

Last June my Hub and I went to NYC and had the privilege of seeing the new musical, Legally Blonde starring Laura Bell Bundy.

Honestly, I'm having some writers block... let's take a break. I'm here at my mom's visiting with my sis who is in town (with my niece!) and my other sis - here with her 1 week old. Not to mention, the whole Hansen gang is around and my mom broke out her Halloween candy. So, I've decided a Reese's is the key to breaking the writer's block (apparently, the Butterfinger, Snickers and 2nd Butterfinger didn't do the trick). Anyway, Reese's in left hand, typing with right hand, 2 yol Katie yelling through the house... needless to say, it's not the most conducive to writing about Legally Blonde. Nevertheless, I feel like sharing.

LB was on MTV last weekend and it was delightful. Of course, something shot for TV is never quite as magical as seeing a show live. I can't imagine that there's any way anyone can capture the magic of a live musical production. But, MTV did a great job.

I'm excited and hopeful that they'll start doing this more often. It's so important to bring musical theatre to a younger audience, to keep the art alive. I was really pleased.

LB was the perfect musical to show since it's so up, fun and a story most young folks already know. What was great about it was it was like watching an NBA game on TV – we actually get to see their faces! Sometimes we theatre-lovers are stuck up a little higher in the rafters than we'd like so it's such a treat to see the emotion the actors bring to their roles.

My suggestions for MTV: Hire me to host backstage! Actually, hire anyone to host the backstage stuff - it'd be better than what they had. They had 3 gals, early 20s perhaps, who were terrible. They didn't know anything about the musical (but seemed to know plenty about the movie), they only looked at the camera when they weren't talking, and when it was their turn to talk they were clearly looking off camera at their cue-cards. Very distracting. But, they did a few really neat behind-the-scenes stuff such as showing us a little bit about the quick-changes. I would have loved to see more of that.

Well, those are my thoughts on the first-ever broadcast of LB on TV. Thank you, MTV, for sharing and bringing a little big of Broadway to SLC.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on LB if you saw it: Showtune.erica@hotmail.com

By the way, if you'd like to see some of the behind-the-scenes stuff click here: http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/legally_blonde_the_musical/series.jhtml

No comments: