Saturday, October 13, 2007

Lawrence Welk

I miss Showtunes!! I really do.

But my Saturday nights are horribly lonely… and empty. Even worse, I can’t even listen to the show I was instrumental in creating as it’s just too painful.

So, here I sit with my laptop and Lawrence Welk on the TV.

I love Lawrence Welk – did you watch it growing up? We sure did. I’m one of 5 girls and we loved it (though my 1 bro didn’t seem quite as fond of it). We sisters would get all bathed and cleaned up at the end of the week, hair in curlers, PJs on, and settle in front of Lawrence Welk. We’d watch the ladies and their sparkly, shiny lips. They were so pretty and their costumes were so elegant! Now I chuckle a bit at their hairdos and makeup… but we sure wanted to be them when we grew up. We had our ‘favorite girls’ and we’d pretend to be them while they sing.

If it was just an instrumental number, we’d dance to it, sometimes conduct them. And during the dance numbers, we sit riveted. Especially when the tap dancer came on – even now, I’ll stop what I’m doing to watch and listen to the sounds that man can make. Amazing!

We watched Lawrence Welk at Grandma’s too. After the baths and a bowl of ice cream, Grandma would sit and pin-curl her hair and we’d do our usual dancing, conducting and ‘calling’ to be our favorite girl. Grandpa just sat amused – sometimes giving us ideas of better ways we could pretend we were them.

Even still, its great music and those performers truly were talented.

So, yes I’m missing Showtunes – greatly – but at least I’m in good company! Lawrence Welk, his gang of performers and my good, good memories!

By the way, I’d love to hear from you!!

Showtune.erica@Hotmail.com

No comments: