Thursday, September 27, 2007

So I decided to take advantage of my downtime and make the most of it.

I drove myself up to the party-town of Cheyenne Wyoming to visit my sis, her hub and my big chunky niece (she was the 10-pounder at birth).

The road to Cheyenne is a very long and desolate one. I mean, it’s an easy drive. You basically point your car east and go. There aren’t too many turns and there aren’t too many interesting things to look at. It’s pretty much straight, wide open, brown and flat. That’s it. Although I did think the eastern Utah portion was quite lovely… rolling hills, farm lands etc. What a pretty state we live in!

It’s a 6 hour drive that can be done with one stop or two (depending on how much you drink). Though I’d recommend not stopping in Rawlins – they’re quite slow at the Taco Bell and it ended up costing me 20 minutes!)

I hit the open road a little excited to be out on my own, having an adventure. With all this downtime I knew I’d have plenty of time to figure things out – my life, my future employment, baby stuff, the subject of my first book. I figured I’d start with the radio as far as I could and then I’d switch things up. I spent most of the drive with my iPod; Patsy Cline and me enjoying the straight, semi truck-filled stretch of road. Then I switched it to shuffle. I did pretty much the same thing on the way back.

Now I’m sorry for that. I feel like I wasted my alone time, my thinking time. I had 12 hours, completely alone, that I could have used to really think about something… and I wasted it. Why didn’t I ever turn off the iPod? Are we afraid to just sit in silence? I didn’t figure out my employment situation. I didn’t figure out any baby stuff (Though I think you really need the kid here to figure out very much). I did not nail down the subject of my first book. The most I did was think about what I wanted to eat next and what my treat would be. I wasted the drive.

So perhaps I can squeeze in one more visit before the baby arrives. But that seems silly too, doesn’t it? That I would drive another 12 hours, round trip, just to have time to think. I suppose I could sit right here on the couch, turn off this computer and think about something. Perhaps I’ll try that…

No comments: