Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Long Live Musical Theatre!

It’s so wonderful to hear from so many of you – thank you! Please contact me: showtune.erica@hotmail.com

If you haven’t heard, KOSY “let me go”. As many of you have mentioned, it came as a shock – to me too! I’m mostly incredibly heartbroken about losing Showtune Saturday Night. I LOVED that show. I’ve poured my heart and soul into SSN for the past 7 years, bringing it to #1, buying the music myself to add to the program, spending countless hours watching shows (from Broadway to high school), and loving every minute of it. Thank you, thank you, thank you for letting me share my love of musical theatre with you each Saturday night. Hopefully, we’ll meet again.

In the meantime, this little snafu doesn’t stop me from getting out and enjoying some fabulous theatre!!

The week I was fired, my friend and I had booked a trip to Seattle to see the world premiere of the new Mel Brooks musical, “Young Frankenstein!” Since I’d bought all these non-refundable tickets, I figured… ‘Why not!’












WOW!!!

The worst part, I CAN’T ABOUT IT ON THE SHOW!!!! Grrrr…..

But I can share it with you. It’s an amazing show! I sat there watching these amazing performers dance, sing, do accents, masterfully handle comedic timing… just amazing. What a gift! And what a thrill to be able to see it!

The show has lots of the original movie in – favorite lines, neighing horses etc. But enough of the new to make it feel fresh all over again and still delight and surprise.

Sutton Foster…. Aahhh…. My fave. I LOVE that girl (she’s in France with her hub right now). She is incredible. I’ve seen her in Millie, Little Women, Drowsy Chaperone and now this and she has been fabulous in every one of them!! I’m such a fan, and… I got her autograph!!! Not to mention I got to shake her hand and she said “Hi, I’m Sutton” – umm…. DUH!! Of COURSE you’re Sutton!!!! Tremendous, quite tremendous for this theatre geek.

The rest of the cast was equally talented. Roger Bart – wonderful Dr. Frankenstein. Megan Mullalley is quite funny as well and she can really sing. She had quite a few belty notes and they didn’t faze her a bit. The whole cast was great.

They get a two week break now and then head to Broadway – can you imagine how exciting that would be?

It opens on Broadway Nov 8th at the Hilton Theatre. If you’re planning a trip to NYC, put this show toward the top of your list of shows to see!!

http://www.youngfrankensteinthemusical.com/teaser.html

No comments: