Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mental Vacation

Wow… has it really been over a week since I posted?

I’m sorry. I know you’ve heard it before but I simply don’t have the luxury of the precious time I had before. Not to mention, when I do have time my surroundings are NOT conducive to any creativity. Who can wax philosophical about anything when you smell a mix of formula (baby’s), Diet Pepsi (mine) and dog breath (Ginger’s)? It’s hard, I tell ya, it’s hard.

I’ve been working on getting myself together and ready to find some type of gainful employment. I chuckled yesterday as I was all dressed up (to seek said gainful employment) in my red pea coat and fabulous heels walking around with my good pen in one hand and juggling a big box of wipes and 4 diapers in the other. Wow… this is different, I thought - sort of felt like I was in a movie.

There are actually quite a few things that regularly remind a new parent something strange is afoot. But that’ll be a different list for a different day.

Today, I’d like to take you away from SLC. Doesn’t that sound nice? I’m looking out at the sheet of white lying over my car and the candy bar wrapper that must’ve fallen out as I slung my clubby snow shoes to the ground. The sky is such a heavy gray not only can I not see the mountains, I can’t see where the pavement ends and sky begins. At this Starbucks we’re all pale, and drab-looking, bundled up in our layers and dreading any time someone news comes in, opens that door and allows a rush of Old Man Winter’s blades of fury and rage to stab into our skin and cut through our chest. Hmm… that was a little dramatic, wasn’t it? Perhaps, but I’m painting a picture here.

Cue slack key guitar.

Today, we’re going to Maui!

Doesn’t that sound nice? Run to your closet or anywhere else you may have buried your long forgotten summer clothes - Shorts, swimsuits and flip-flops a must.

We get off the plane in Kahului to a wonderful aroma of something floral, something sweet and pleasant - Plumeria or hibiscus. The airport is open, no fluorescent lighting, no manufactured air, and no drab walls with lame artwork. Our skin instantly drinks in the moisture, relieved to not be ensconced in gloves and happy to be getting nourishment.

The ride to where we’re staying is so immensely gratifying your body almost aches with relief and delight. Windows down, the 80 degree air blowing over your skin, you inhale deeply letting the last of SLC out and letting Maui and its island warmth in. Our room overlooks Ma’alaea Bay, a crescent shaped harbor where the whales congregate to birth and frolic. Opening the sliding glass doors, we instantly hear the lull of the right now lazy ocean rolling onto its sandy bed.

Eager to greet the ocean and banish the gray sheen that has settled onto our complexions, we hurry to get out of these Utah clothes. Slowly removing layer after layer we excitedly (and grudgingly) crawl into our swimsuits, wrap a brightly colored beach towel up to our necks and flip-flop out to the seaside.

Lounge chairs perfectly placed with the proper combination of sun and shade, we lay down the towel, then ourselves. But it’s nearly impossible to lie still with our eyes closed - how can one be in the midst of such breathtaking beauty and not want to sneak a peek… several peeks for that matter. The majestic and willowy palm trees move gracefully against a brilliant and cloudless blue sky while the sea’s expansive arms reach out to the horizon so that, again, we can’t tell where the sky begins.

The wafting scent of dog breath fills the air…

Wait a minute… what?

Sadly… I must return you to your regularly scheduled weather forecast which I believe is somewhere in the scary 20s or something.

Duty calls.

I hope you enjoyed this mental vacation since, I don’t know about you, but it’s the only one I can afford!

Aloha!

1 comment:

stresover said...

Aloha to you. You made it sound like you were really going. January is my favorite time to go to Hawaii. It's cold and damp in Northern California. We met at my sister's wedding to Bob in Lodi several years ago.

Could use some more delightful baby pictures!