Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Little Venting

Wow… where does the time go? Somewhere between Christmas, a new baby, visiting in-laws, and working off this baby weight, I have no time to write.

I miss it.

Of course, just as I sat down and logged on someone realized she was wet and decided she was hungry. So here I sit: pathetically poured into a pair of pre-prego jeans (I can’t bear to wear maternity stuff anymore) eating a Zone bar (no time for anything else), left arm wrapped around Victoria, right arm pointing, clicking and typing. I seem to always be doing two things at once but never get anything done. Sound familiar?

Moving on…

I wasn’t very Christmas-y this year – strange to me that it’s already come and gone. I’m in a funk and I’m sure how to snap out of it. May I vent?

I’m bitter. I’m bitter over what happened to me with the awful radio station that shall not be named. It dawned on me while I roamed the mall last week - I’m still bitter. I had this great job that I loved and I made pretty good money. Plus I had the pleasure of sharing my beloved showtunes every week. Then a new boss rolls into town and without knowing anything about me or even giving me half a chance, he cans me. The old “new direction,” “starting fresh” line. Ever been “new directioned?” Not fun. He didn’t even thank me for my hard work, he didn’t say he was sorry, nor did he even act remorseful. The whole stupid firing was a whopping 9 seconds long.

All of that aside, I’m really in a bind now. Do you think when bosses fire people they ever give thought to what this truly does to a person? I’m sure some do – they’re still human, right? My job was going to be perfect for having a new baby as the hours would have allowed me to be home at 11 or so - long before Mark leaves for work. But now I have this beautiful baby girl and I do not want to put her in daycare. What do I do? I’m really limited now. I either have to find a job with super-early hours, one where I can work from home or a part-time job somewhere. I sit and feed my bright-eyed baby and worry about my future employment… just not sure what’s out there.

I’m also bitter because I feel like they ruined what should have been a really fun time in my life. How often is someone 7 months pregnant? Not very. My last few months of pregnancy were stressful and taxing. I was also looking forward to sharing the pregnancy and birth with listeners. I’d gotten so many e-mails and well-wishes from so many listeners/friends and then nothing. I was just sort of cut-off while the new pregnant host gets my listener support and full paid maternity leave. Life, as they say, is not fair.

Whew!

That feels better, thank you. I’m trying to be optimistic. I’m trying to be positive and I’m trying to remember that I have so many reasons to be thankful. My loved ones are well, I have a warm roof over my head and I’ve been blessed with a gorgeous and healthy baby girl who smiles more and more everyday. But I can’t but think it would all be a lot more enjoyable had I been able to share it, wasn’t involved in a job hunt and didn’t have to worry about how I was going to keep diapers on her cute, little bum.

5 comments:

Big Jim said...

Erica, we've never met, but my daughter and I are big fans. (Fans of both your Showtune Saturday Night and of a couple of productions we've seen you in.) I can't believe they did that to you; my daughter and I were sure you'd gotten a better offer in a bigger market or something, or maybe went off to New York to try your luck on Broadway. We never would have guessed that it was because you were 'let go'. Once again, so sorry to hear what happened, and rest assured that we will no longer listen to a station that treats their talent so callously. Best of luck in the New Year !

Kira said...

You got the shaft. Go ahead and vent we don't mind. If you need to go back part-time and it is in the Salt Lake area bring the baby to the cousins house. We would love to be the babysitter, don't they say family is the next best thing?!?

Mandy said...

Erica, you probably don't remember me but I'm Amanda London we were emailing back and forth while you were working at the unamed station. We were both due around the same time. I had my baby on the 29th of Oct., instead of Nov.7 by C-section. (not by choice) Both myself and my in-laws loved listening to you, especially on Saturday nights.

amester said...

The other day I was driving with my sister flipping through the stations. I made her go back to a station with a commercial because the voice sounded familiar. To my dismay it wasn't you. I said never mind its not Erica. I miss hearing your voice. Its so much harder to get up in the morning. Good luck in your search. By the way your daughter is BEAUTIFUL.

Wattski said...

I'm just a (former) regular listener and am sorry that you were, as they euphemistically say, 'let go'. Any business, and radio stations in particular, are only as good as the people they employee, and KOSY has definitely taken a turn for the worse. Not GOOD .... especially mornings! Good luck to you.