Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pedicure

I sat in the massage chair while the gal worked on my feet. I knew I’d been upsold. I wanted plain hot pink toes, but she wouldn’t have it. Amidst her cleansing and buffing, she curled her nose, waved her arms in disgust and suggested a “frag” – which I later took to mean “Flag.” I hope I don’t sound mean. I just find myself feeling very awkward trying to decipher the very thick accents, over the drone of the massage chair and bustle of the salon.

So hot pink was out and frags were in. My younger sis was in on it too. In fact, the whole reason I brought Laura along was so she could give me support in the face of the sometimes-militant nail techs. You see, they like you to get fancy designs because they can charge more – who can blame them? Makes good business sense. And heck, if some of us are stupid enough to fall for it….


Anyway, she happily scurried around in her super-high heel opened-toed shoes, found the necessary red, white and blue and began her artwork – happy that I’d seen the light.

Now I’m left wondering – are these toes festive? Or gaudy? Should a grown woman be walking around with frags on her toes? Are toes an area where we can all let our hair down a little and have a touch of fun?

No comments: