Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Have A New Job!!

Yes, it’s true!

I’m the new Theatre Editor for the Deseret News. How about that? So I’ll be covering all theatre from Broadway to high school and everything in between. Not only that, but the Des News is working towards adding more content to their website so I’ll also be doing video segments in addition to writing articles.

It sounds overwhelming, doesn’t it? Overwhelming but exciting.

I’ve been on the job for a week now and my thoughts and emotions on the job have run the gamut from ‘What on earth did I get myself into?’ to ‘How fun! I still have a voice in theatre!’ I’m currently working on find a happy medium.

I cover 80 different theatres across the state and the touring shows. I’m responsible for keeping up to date on auditions, show openings, closings, reviews, interesting/feature stories plus a little fashion and beauty thrown in just to keep things interesting.

Sounds exhausting.

But I think it also sounds really fun. I’m looking forward to finding interesting theatre stories to share.

My first byline was in the paper Sunday. I did a little blurb on “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee,” which is in town Tuesday. Other than an interesting editing move where they split up my paragraph, and one missing period, it looked good.

I love theatre. I so enjoy attending a great show or being on stage. I just love it. Whether it’s high school or Broadway, I love it. Hopefully you’ll catch my stuff in the Deseret News or head to their website www.desnews.com.

6 comments:

weazel said...

Congrats on the new job. Now your husband can take some time off and go snowboarding or to Las Vegas for a few days in March. Just throwing that out there.
pw

Berrett Maynard - Bdoggzz said...

Erica that is so AWESOME! I am so happy for you... It was great seeing you at CROWNS at the Grand.

Anna Heywood said...

All of your fans are so happy for you. What a perfect job for you. We really miss you on Show Tune Saturday Night, but we know your expertise will just come through in your articles for the paper. I hope you get a chance to check out one of my favorite community theatre's soon. Its called the Empress and it is located in Magna. Although it seems like a long way out there, their shows are delightful and they have such a cozy feeling there. We really like it. Good luck with all your exicting new adventures and we hope to see you on stage again soon!

A Fan

Eric said...

I just read about this in the Des News and came over to congratulate you when I read it here.

That is so awesome.

Be careful what picture you use for the paper. You don't want the "Good Things Utah" fans to call you and tell you that your hair looked flat.

Congrats again.

The Venting One said...

You'll do absolutely fabulous in this new job. I miss you like mad on the radio, and it will be nice to read all of your articles. I couldn't think of a better person to have this job. Congrats!

Rascal_Cube said...

Erica, that's GREAT news! And what a great gig! Congrats!